Tuesday, September 22, 2009

CANNING PEACHES 2009


OK There's a price we pay for everything,...right?

And you know how Stephanie Nielson is always saying "don't burn yourself" in her CuisineNie Blog? Well, I was canning peaches yesterday and about the 20th time I checked the pot, STEAM BURN!

I put aloe vera on it and it instantly felt better (well, mostly felt better).

So here's the peaches. I can't remember the last time I canned anything. I usually just make freezer jam. And I still have more peaches! (But no more jars YET.)




I look pretty happy about it all. 'Cause I am. (except the burn part)



I estimate that it probably cost me about $10 per jar so far. Hopefully, I'll do some more canning and bring the price down over time. The question here is: Will I live long enough to make it "cost friendly"? Probably not.



One more look at the burn. Ouch! (That's actually the most color I've seen on my body in a long time! No sunshine for me--I've already had skin cancer.)


3 comments:

  1. That was so funny... $10 per jar. I'm still laughing about that. They look and will taste much better than anything you would buy at the store or Costco... did that help? Ouchie!!! I've had a steam burn from canning with huge blisters, you can't even tell I was ever burned now. Keep the aloe vera on it. I'm just gearing up to go can some more jam and some pears. I'll be extra cautious about the steam now. Your peaches look awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy ~
    Ouch!! Sorry about the burn & the cost but I can really relate. In Utah, many moons ago, I used to can all the time but not so much here. We make a lot of cobbler (well, JIM makes a lot of cobbler); the kind where you add a cake mix... so, the last one he made he grabs a "Funfetti" cake mix (the kind with all the little candies in it)... made for a most unique cobbler. That's all I dare say. LOL

    I'm glad you are blogging. It's lots of fun. Wish I had more time to spend on mine. Take care. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I didn't know you had a new blog. I don't read facebook enough, I guess. Well, the peaches TASTE better than the ones from the store and the feeling of accomplishment when you're finished canning is PRICELESS! Sorry about the burn though.

    ReplyDelete